To raise money in support of Oxfam Australia I am going to ride my motor bike Clockwise around Australia.
In August 2009. I'll be leaving from Melbourne heading west along the Great Ocean Road, finding my way to Adelaide, ducking across to Esperance, around the coast to Perth, up to Karratha, Broome, across to Katherine and Jabiru. Take a breath then back down to Tennant Creek, just nip across to Townsville. Then down the coast to Gladstone, inland to Toowoomba then Armidale, Tamworth through the Yengo and Blue Mountains National Parks to Goulburn. Through Canberra, the Kosciuszko National Park back to Cooma, down to Cann River, Bairnsdale, a small detour up the Great Apline Road if its open, across the Dargo High Plains. Around to Mansfield, Alexandra and down the Black Spur home.
A distance of approximately 15,000 km and camping in National Parks or caravan parks. Taking about 35 days.

To Donate directly to Oxfam Australia click above
I again extend an open invitation to anyone who would like to join me on any part of this trip, please do.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday 8th September

I left Tannum Sands Saturday about mid day, I must admit it was nice having a day off. I soon rode into some dark clouds, but it only showerd a little. The Bruce Hwy was alright apart from a lot of traffic. At Childers I turned inland and the road to Biggenden was great fun. Spent a cold night in a caravan park and continued next morning to Ban Ban Springs where I turned south onto the Burnett Hwy. The day started out sunny and I thought it would warm up but 3 hours later I stopped for breakfast and I put the lining back in my jacket. This road is popular with motorbikes as I encounted a lot of them heading the other way. I have to admit that at this point I was starting to just think about getting home, possibly because it was fathers day. Soon after entering NSW (New South Wales) the roads improved noticably. Spent the next night at another caravan park in Glen Innes, that was a very cold night. I was dressed in tracky pants, T shirt and windcheater and I even had to place my riding jacket over me. The next morning was over cast and I packed up a wet tent. The weather held off until I arrived at the Powerhouse Motorcycle Museum in Tamworth and then the hevens opened up and it poured down. So I spent about an hour or so looking at the private collection of motor bikes, it was well worth the stop. I rode into continous rain for about 130 km but it cleared as I got to Singleton so I continued on and rode the 167 km along the Putty Rd to Windsor. I would have to say Putty Rd is as good as the Black Spur is in Victoria, but with far greater views, the  few photos I took do not do it justice. I got to Windsor about 6 pm cold and still wet, so I spent the night in a Motel room. The next morning was fine and sunny but it didn't last. The road to Lithgow was spectaculer for both the road and the views, but it was freezing cold. At many places along here you are at 1,000 metres above sea level. The great roads just kept on going to Oberon until an incredible, almost sceary, decent down into Taralga. The temperture incressed a couple of degrees thank goodness. I then headed to Goulburn and then to Canberra where I am spending the night with Glenn, one of our God's Squad members, and his family. Tomorrow I head to Cooma, Bombala and then back into Victoria where I should be home Thursday afternoon / night.    

No comments:


To Donate directly to Oxfam Australia click above