To raise money in support of Oxfam Australia I am going to ride my motor bike Clockwise around Australia.
In August 2009. I'll be leaving from Melbourne heading west along the Great Ocean Road, finding my way to Adelaide, ducking across to Esperance, around the coast to Perth, up to Karratha, Broome, across to Katherine and Jabiru. Take a breath then back down to Tennant Creek, just nip across to Townsville. Then down the coast to Gladstone, inland to Toowoomba then Armidale, Tamworth through the Yengo and Blue Mountains National Parks to Goulburn. Through Canberra, the Kosciuszko National Park back to Cooma, down to Cann River, Bairnsdale, a small detour up the Great Apline Road if its open, across the Dargo High Plains. Around to Mansfield, Alexandra and down the Black Spur home.
A distance of approximately 15,000 km and camping in National Parks or caravan parks. Taking about 35 days.

To Donate directly to Oxfam Australia click above
I again extend an open invitation to anyone who would like to join me on any part of this trip, please do.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday 10th September

I have arrived home. After making good time from Canberra to Cooma, to Bombala and then into Victoria, down to Cann River; I was cold and wet again, but realised how close I was to home. So I continued, arriving home about 6:15 pm, in time for dinner.
When I left Canberra it was mainly fine and stayed fine until after Bombala where it showered for most of the way to Lakes Entrance. I say fine, but it was still very windy and bitterly cold, for as I crossed over the Great Dividing Range I had climbed to 1,070 metres above sea level again and the towns here are still promoting the ski season. The roads were very good and this would be a ride I would highly recommend, in summer. As I quickly descended closer to sea level the temperature climbed noticeably and as the rain stopped at Lakes Entrance I had dried out by the time I got home. The road to Lakes Entrance was great, winding its way between the mountains and interesting country side to see. After Lakes Entrance it's just a highway with nothing of any great appeal to motorcycling.
When I left back in August the bike had 70,470 km on the clock, it now has 85,100 km, a total of 14,630 km, in 32 days. The bike is in much need of a good service and clean and a new rear tyre.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your achievement, what a fantastic effort. I am proud to say I met you at Melrose S.A. at the old blacksmiths. I followed your trip around on the computer, and was thinking of you all the way. Good on you Peter.
Sandy.


To Donate directly to Oxfam Australia click above